Across the road from the school stands St Benedict’s Church, to which the school owes its foundation in 1876, and with which of course the school has the closest of links. The church, a Norman chapel dating from the 11th century formerly dedicated to Benignus, the supposed successor of Patrick as Abbot of Glastonbury, was substantially enlarged and rebuilt around 1500 under the auspices of Richard Bere, penultimate abbot of Glastonbury, whose influence is seen both inside and outside the building.
Further changes were made by the Victorians, in particular the adding of a south aisle and its lovely stained-glass windows, leaving the church more or less as it is today, although the present clergy, PCC and congregation have recently overseen a process of reordering that enables St Ben’s to be both a well-equipped and multi-purpose facility for the community and an all-embracing place of prayer, worship, and spiritual education for tomorrow’s Christians. These we trust will include the children of the school, who cross the road for song, prayer, dance and appreciation of a beautiful, historic building.
To this end, a new cross-curricular Education Pack has been devised for teachers to use, accessible here in the History section of the church’s website.