We have two Learning Mentors, Mrs Jane Newbury and Mrs Lynne Flagg.
The aim of our pastoral team is to support children, parents and carers, families, teachers, schools and other outside agencies.
We work with individuals and groups of children to help remove barriers to learning. Children are referred to us by teachers, parents/carers or by self-referral.
How we support children
- liaising and maintaining links with families, staff and outside agencies
- implementing strategies and supporting children in self-esteem and confidence-building activities
- listening to and helping children resolve a range of issues that are creating barriers to learning
- setting up and running friendship groups, behaviour management groups etc
- helping children on a one-to-one basis with specific educational learning programmes
- drawing up agreed action plans and targets with children and working with them, on a one to one basis, to achieve those targets
- acting as professional friends
The Bright Star Nurture Group
We also run a Nurture Group where children are offered a safe, nurturing environment in which they can improve their social and behavioural skills. The group is designed to support those children who have experienced some barriers to learning and helps them to develop the skills needed for learning. In particular it aims to improve the children’s looking, listening and concentrating skills. Structured activities also promote spoken language and a willingness to join in.